What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Dec 11 17:02:49 UTC 2008

> I strongly disagree with that idea, IMHO the version upgrades to released
> versions are the main distinctive point of Fedora, many people (including
> me) use Fedora for that very reason.

You know as well as I do that "version" upgrades can be twisted to mean
anything you want, depending on the upstream.  The gist of what I'm
trying to express distaste with is egregious update spamming just to
have the highest number everywhere, rather than calculated updates
balancing the risk of new code and the cost of bandwidth and storage vs
what the latest number /actually/ brings to users.

I mean, I just recently saw a maintainer build a package from F9,10, and
11 just to update a summary.  Was that seriously worth a build?  I
haven't yet seen if the maintainer has queued up bodhi updates for that,
but come on, seriously?  That type of change can certainly wait until
there is a more compelling reason to consume the resources of an update.

> And the problem in this thread wasn't even such an update, it was a security
> fix! Even if it had been backported to D-Bus 1.2.4 instead of an upgrade to
> 1.2.6, it would still have caused the same issue! So the problem we're
> seeing has absolutely nothing to do with feature upgrades.

While that's true of the originating topic of this thread, we've moved
on to a more general discussion of how Fedora releases should be
treated.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!