Server SIG - work areas

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 18:16:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:
> "Mat Booth" <fedora at matbooth.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Sorry for replying to myself, but another thought occurred after I hit
>> send: Maybe I don't understand *why* you need bleeding edge if what
>> you want is stability...
>
> I want bleeding edge when we first develop new systems, so I get all
> the new shiny features for the beta testers to play with... Then when
> the bugs have been found, everything should stay stable without
> needing significant care for a few years, until the system is replaced
> with a new even shinier one and the cycle continues.
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux provides stability. Fedora provides bleeding
> edge. Lots of people, including me, want both.
>
> That doesn't mean we get to have both.

No, that doesn't mean we *can't* have both.

The infrastructure needed is close.
The quality of people is about right, but the quantity is a few short.
With some *cooperation* from all sides, and maybe a kick in the ...,
er, some gentle nudging from leaders, we can implement both. We _need_
to implement both.

jerry

--
Store in cool, dry place. Rotate stock.