yum --skip-broken update by default?

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Thu Dec 11 21:07:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 15:09 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Steven Moix wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Last night I had an idea, why not alias "yum update" to "yum
> > --skip-broken update" by default? This simple hack could prevent a lot
> > of recurring support questions on the forums:
> >
> > 1) People who have dependency problem won't see them anymore.
>
> b/c we need to get the dep problems reported, too.
>
> > 2) It doesn't change anything for the rest of the people.
> >

> sure it does, it means that you think you're updated completely, but
> you're not.
>
> -sv

Ok, you have a point.

I was suggesting this from a guy-who-reads-user-forums standpoint. The
Fedora update mirrors are often out of sync for 1-3 days, which fills
the forums almost every day with users who don't understand what's going
on when they have dependency problems.

I'm fully aware that this is a dirty hack, but it could solve just that
problem, now there are side effects of course.

Steven