What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:23:24 UTC 2008

Till Maas wrote:
> On Thu December 11 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> So, what is the correct plan to avoid getting a broken update onto a
>> machine you care about?  Take the one towards the end of FC6 that broke
>
> You can not update at all or only install security related updates and then
> only the ones that fix something, your machine is really vulnerable to.

That sort of assumes that there is some defined stable state that I'd
know that I didn't want to migrate from - and I've never seen a fedora
initial release that was close to that.   How am I supposed to know when
this state arrives?  And if there's no reason to pick up those other
updates, why push them in the first place.  My point is that mistakes
are going to happen and there should be a planned way to avoid or fix
them that doesn't include downtime on every machine that runs the
distribution.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com