What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Bradley Baetz bbaetz at acm.org
Thu Dec 11 23:33:50 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 10:11 +1100, Bradley Baetz wrote:
>> But to pull it back slightly, is there a way to quickly unpush a
>> package? Even though the tree compose takes a while, is keeping a copy
>> of yesterday's updates dir a simpler problem for these sorts of things?
>>
>> For me (in .au) the package was known to be broken before it hit my
>> local mirror, so if it had been pulled before the rsync I wouldn't have
>> seen anything broken at all....
>
> Without bypassing a lot of the process and making assumptions with
> regard to multilib, no, the time it takes to produce repos minus an
> update is on par with the time it takes to produce repos with fixed
> versions of the package.  That is, 12 hours for the whole boat of
> F8->F10 updates and updates-testing.  Quite a bit less if we're just
> going to do say f10-updates only, but still /hours/.

No, I mean just restore the tree to the previously run compose
(basically, restore from backup/snapshot/etc) Although updates that
break like this don't happen very frequently, I wonder how many F10
users just use PK and don't follow fedora lists, so aren't going to get
any more updates unless they notice that there haven't been updates for
a while and look into it. Was there a post to fedora-announce about this?

(Plus it took 2 days for me - I got PackageKit pushed but couldn't
update because gnome-packagekit wasn't pushed, plus the mirror update lag)

Bradley