What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 12 03:06:02 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> For my example of the late FC6 update, the machine didn't boot.  I'd say
>   that's clearly a 'known broken' state at that point.  But not much
> more than that is clear.  Why does that have to happen to more than one
> machine?

Because if we block/unpush/whatever updates based on a single report of
brokenness, all Joe Evil Cracker needs to do to break into your machine is
to wait for a security issue in OpenSSH or some other security-critical
software, report the security update as "broken" and then exploit the hole.
There would also be other kinds of vandals or jokesters who'd incorrectly
report updates as "broken" just for fun.

        Kevin Kofler