Making updates-testing more useful

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:55:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 07:06 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 11.12.2008 19:28, Richard Hughes wrote:
> >
> > Yes, we can easily enable the testing repos with a small button and a
> > more info link. The real question is, will this clutter the UI and
> > confuse new users?
>
> Another good question (related to the "will this confuse new users"
> part): Will you enable the updates-testing repos from 3rd party repos in
> the same step automatically?

Yes. If the user has fedora and rpmfusion enabled, but livna disabled,
it'll do in the first pass:

updates from all configured and enabled sources

and on the second pass:

disable fedora and rpmfusion
enable fedora-testing and rpmfusion-testing
updates from all configured and enabled sources
enable fedora and rpmfusion
disable fedora-testing and rpmfusion-testing

If you've got livna installed then it shouldn't touch the repo. The
tricky bit is the heuristic that matches up rpmfusion-testing to
rpmfusion.

> Otherwise people that use those repos will
> now and then run into dependency troubles -- for example when a new
> xine-lib enters updates-testing from Fedora and xine-lib-extras-nonfree
> enters updates-testing from RPM Fusion at the same time.

We should handle that.

> But well, likely it doesn't matter to much anyway, as yum is still
> pretty broken in such situations anyway, as mirror lags will confuse it:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00041.html

We can't do much about mirror lags, but we do switch on --skip-broken by
default which sort of mitigates things.

Richard.