cpufreq module on x86_64

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 17:23:07 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 16:21:19 Jerry James wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I suspect what's happening is that acpi-cpufreq is loading and failing
> > to bind, and then p4-clockmod gets loaded, fails to bind and the module
> > load is aborted.
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded with reasons why I want a cpufreq
> module loaded.  Matthew, you are absolutely correct.  I rebooted with
> cpufreq.debug=7 on the boot line and got this in the logs:
>
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_init
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_early_init
> cpufreq-core: trying to register driver acpi-cpufreq
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 0
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 1
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 2
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 3
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: no CPU initialized for driver acpi-cpufreq
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 0
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 1
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 2
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 3
> cpufreq-core: trying to register driver p4-clockmod
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 0
> [snip the rest; I posted it before]
>
> So the "initialization failed" line tells me that this line:
>
>   ret = cpufreq_driver->init(policy)
>
> in cpufreq_add_dev() in drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c is where things are
> going wrong.  Is there any way to tell what is going wrong here?  Is
> this likely to be a BIOS bug?  (I just flashed my BIOS to fix 3D
> graphics; it wouldn't surprise me if my vendor managed to mess this up
> at the same time.)

Yeah, I'd wager its one of two things. Either the vendor screwed something
up w/the acpi tables in this update, or the update also flipped the bios
option for frequency scaling off for some reason. First order of business
would be to poke around in your bios, looking for something having to do
with power savings, EIST, processor scaling, etc. (its called many
different things by different bioses, of course)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com