A way out of the update trap

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Dec 12 22:18:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:40:07AM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> > I'd propose, more largely @code, @base and dependencies.
>
> For me, lowering the risk of the potential breakage of update
> functionality breakage is the number 1 priority in terms of critical
> functionality.  I dare you to suggest an alternative specific
> functionality. If we can't even settle on one specific functionality
> as a priority we've no chance a targetting all of @core and @base.

I think that the boot to console sequence should also be preserved. And
networking too (not networking reconfiguration). Reading comps, indeed,
@core + @base is too much. Even @core has some non critical packages,
like authconfig and ed...

I propose for the console part:
yum, rpm, initscripts, mkinitrd, the bootloaders, kbd, shadow-utils,
(passwd?).

And basic network:
iproute, dhclient

And dependencies of those packages basesystem, bash, coreutils,
util-linux-ng, ncurses, libgcc, filesystem, e2fsprogs, cpio, glibc,
curl, python...

--
Pat