What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 14 18:50:02 UTC 2008

Hello Kevin,

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> That's exactly why we need new versions built for stable updates rather than
> just using the Rawhide versions. The whole point of building for the
> current/previous release (rather than the next one, i.e. Rawhide) is to (in
> the vast majority of cases) NOT need new incompatible dependencies.

this isn't always true. There are cases, where backporting causes more work
to the packager than simply updating. And what if, when a security update
is fixed by rewriting parts of the (already further developed) code, thus
the fix behind is only very hard to backport? That's IMHO an point, where
an incompatible update can make it into a stable release. If such a release
is now buggy, flipping down is maybe hard to the end user as well.

Greetings,
  Robert