Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 14 20:28:39 UTC 2008

Hello Michael,

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> The problem Fedora has is that updates-testing is not popular enough.

well, this is not the only problem. There's also a thinking of, that the
repository contains buggy packages, broken dependencies and other stuff,
which will eat your baby. And of course that's partitially right. Maybe it
doesn't eat the Fedora system, but who can be sure when it's testing?

I think, that's an unresolvable issue, but there are enough users out
there, which will never enable updates-testing because of this thinking.
But less testing makes updates-testing and even updates not better (if some
testing happens at all).

> Whenever someone says "Fedora is community-driven" I'd really like to see
> that it means "update pkg foo passed the testing done by a group of
> power-users" and not just "Fedora provides a system where a single package
> maintainer is free to unleash a pkg and burden the community with breakage".

I like also to see the idea, where the installations of a package are
counted and reported to the maintainer who can compare the number with
issues and problems reported for. E.g. 100 installations of an updated
package where no new issues where reported for.

Greetings,
  Robert