What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 15 17:27:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> James Antill wrote:
>>
>>  By default yum sets the metadata cache timeout to 90 minutes, now if
>> you want to optimize for Fedora you might be tempted to change this to
>> "1d" so yum will only re-check it's metadata once a day. However if you
>> turn on your laptop at 22:00 Sunday, then you'll miss any updates from
>> Monday until 22:00 Monday night.
>>  Or more technically, from any given Fedora update you'll have to wait
>> _upto_ 1 day later to see them.
>>  This then only gets worse with mirrors.
>
> 90 mins is just too often. Isn't it? 1d would be more appropriate as a
> default, I think if we somehow manage to sync the metadata expiry time to
> factor in the delay caused by mirrors.

AFAICT there is no best number. If someone would like to play with it and
tell us what is more sensible it is utterly trivial to set.

I don't think 1day is a good number - it'll drive some folks insane. Maybe
6 hours? That means in an average working day you'll only get one update.
And if you are SURE that there are updates you're missing you can always
do:

yum clean expire-cache

> This probably needs to go into a FAQ. The question on why yum has to hit the
> network for every operation comes up way too often. Perhaps the FAQ can
> answer that as well.

it doesn't hit the network on every operation. And the cache timeout is
documented in the man page.

-sv