RFC: Description text in packages

Conrad Meyer konrad at tylerc.org
Mon Dec 15 22:03:40 UTC 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008 10:18:11 am Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le lundi 15 décembre 2008 à 08:41 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> > Currently, I'm opposed to having a Guideline that mandates UTF-8 over
> > ASCII.
>
> And I'm opposed to continuing to abuse ASCII glyphs and pretend they
> stand for something other than their creators intended. One couldn't
> avoid it when the available encoding didn't provide a clean way to write
> some stuff, but doing it in 2008 is plain dumb.

Granted, UTF-8 glyphs can be abused as well; see %changelog in the following:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/perl-Convert-UUlib/devel/perl-Convert-UUlib.spec?revision=1.21&view=markup
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/lzop/devel/lzop.spec?revision=1.14&view=markup

You even used two different glyphs for "fixed the license"!

Regards,
--
Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org>