Installing from Live CD is the new black?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:27:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>> No if:
>>> - you want a downtime as small as possible.
>>
>> I fail to see how this is true with a DVD install. But this really
>
> Installing from a DVD your downtime is only during the install from media,
> installing from a Live CD the downtime is during the install from media
> *and* the yum install of all the applications you need to do the real work.
> What good is a desktop without applications?

The first thing I used to do after installing from a DVD was yum
update. Now I do yum install, and the actuall CD to hard time is much
shorter with the Live media. So I'm not sure that installing from DVD
is clearly faster in anyways. Having switched from only DVD to Live,
I'd say that it is much quicker to get up and running from live cd.

>> isn't that important as no one is trying to take away DVD installs.
>
> Fortunately no, but a bit earlier in the thread we have seen such wishes.

I must have missed that.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )