Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Dec 16 15:27:28 UTC 2008

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:47:32 +0100
>> Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-10-boot-analysis
>>>
>>> A brief Fedora 10 boot analysis.
>>>
>>> To reach the 20 Second Startup Feature
>>
>> this begs the question, and you knew I as going to ask ;), if Fedora
>> wants to reach the 5 second boot that is quite possible on this
>> hardware, even without too insane compromises.
>> (which translates to something like 2 to 3 seconds on a full sized
>> laptop-with-ssd)
>>
>> If not, I would regret that but it's not something I would have to live
>> without; I can get a fast boot myself quite fine. If so, something
>> needs to happen NOW for F11, with a real serious push
>> for this. It'll involve quite a few people and quite a few packages
>> that need to get things right, but it's not at all impossible nor does
>> it require impossible-for-fedora compromises.
>>

> Push your kernel patches, so we have a kernel fast boot and sreadahead.
> Persuade our kernel maintainer to compile more modules in the kernel.
>
> But, we can't / don't want to drop gnome and most other services, you
> dropped to reach 5 seconds.

I agree with not dropping gnome :) But if we want faster startup we really
should be taking a serious look at trimming startup services.

Some ideas:
1) Make more services not start when not needed, for example bluetooth when
there is no bluetooth hardware, etc. We could even completely stop them from
being a service controlled by runlevel and make them be started from udev instead.

2) Load some services after gdm is up, for example cron, anacron, at,
setroubleshootd

3) Outright remove some services from the default started set, such as a
certain local mta.

Regards,

Hans