Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 20:33:47 UTC 2008

Am Montag, den 15.12.2008, 16:58 +0100 schrieb Harald Hoyer:
> Eric Sandeen wrote:
> >> Turning off bootchart: 30s
> >>
> >> So all in all we have nearly accomplished the 30 Second Startup Feature
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/30SecondStartup.
> >
> > Well, no; not if this requires data=writeback.  We can't ship that way,
> > it's a potential security hole.  You don't want someone's maildir
> > suddenly containing pieces of /etc/shadow or whatnot.  The old data that
> > may be exposed by data=writeback may not belong to that user.
> >
> > -Eric
> >

> So, we switch to xfs as the default FS? :-)

XFS has a nasty bug where it will leave files full of zeros on disk in a
crash.

I think it was Alan Cox that said this could be fixed quite easily by
changing the write ordering for XFS, but that someone who was willing to
maintain the patch would need to do it.

If this was merged I would love to move to XFS :)