Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 21:40:38 UTC 2008

2008/12/17 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:40 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> Such notifications would not be likely to seen by me as I almost never
>> sit near the machines where the disks live.  Who gets them if multiple
>> users are logged in via X or freenx?  Or if no one is logged in at all,
>> or if X isn't running?
>
> Ahh, but to flip your argument on it's head, you know how to setup mail
> delivery of such notices don't you?

Yeah people how know about them know how to enable them (its not
rocket science btw) but most users don't need them and don't even know
that they exits ...
so why make the boot process slower for most users?

And why do people always shout "oh no you changed something that has
been that way for years that must be wrong even if its better for most
users"  ? ...  nobody wants to remove MTA's from fedora they just want
to not install/enable it by default.

We really need to make the boot process faster .. talking about how
important a MTA isn't the best way to accomplish this goal .. it will
ends up like every fedora release.
Talk and no changes due to flamewar = no or minimal boot time improvement.