wxGTK2 -> wxGTK rename without Provides

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Dec 18 16:59:12 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Dan Horák wrote:
> > I have checked all packages that link with the "base" wxGTK library and
> > no other package is affected, they all use wxGTK-devel.
>
> I think we should have some guideline that such versioned Provides should
> be kept indefinitely and packages should use them where available.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Renaming.2Freplacing_existing_packages
(especially the last 2 paragraphs)

We encourage garbage collecting old cruft, keeping it around indefinitely
should be a pretty rare exception for quite specific cases (or at least
that's the way I remember it when we worked on it in FPC).

I suppose that a "should add specfile comment if some compatibility are
intended to be kept around indefinitely" note should be added in the above
doc though, currently it's only a "should" for the common case where stuff is
intended to be cleaned up later.