Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 18:21:25 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
>> In /etc/sysconfig/crond, there is the CRONDARGS variable where it can be set.
>
> Okay that meets the baseline requirement for the desktop live image.
> And obviously kickstart scripts for other spin targets can flip that
> config to something else as needed. If we get a Server Spin for
> example it could choose sendmail by default and explicitly install
> sendmail by default in its kickstart.
>
> But can this be handled in a more sophisticated way so we can get a
> system that can handle both the desktop target usecase and the managed
> system usecase that Les is trying to articulate by default without a
> config file edit?

I don't think I'd call wanting standard email a 'managed system'.  It is
the system helping you manage itself, and I think people would use it if
they were aware that it existed.

> IF a real honest-to-god mta is installed, can cron grow some logic to
> prefer to use the mta if available? For example can the cron service
> script see if /usr/sbin/sendmail is there.. if it is..use it... if its
> not..fall back to something else (the yet to be written dbus-email
> broker)

If you really want to go down the reduced-functionality road, it doesn't
make sense to make every program that expects /usr/bin/sendmail (keeping
in mind that not every program in the universe is installed via yum out
of a fedora repostitory...) have to look for alternatives.

>  If that sounds doable, then we can start poking Behdad to write the
> missing dbus-email broker as an F11 feature and we can get something
> which should not disrupt Les's managed desktop usecase.

Just write the 10-line shell script version of /usr/bin/sendmail that
discards the message in whatever creative way you like and package it as
an alternative mailer.  But, if I can't make them come to my phone when
I want, you've badly broken expected functionality.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com