Proposed PackageRenaming guideline

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 18 23:53:59 UTC 2008

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> As far as I can tell we don't have a guideline for how to do package
> renames. Here's my first attempt at such a guideline:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/RenamingPackages
>
> Feel free to leave feedback in talk page for it on the wiki, or here or
> in personal email to me.

Somewhere in the distant past, we had a rule that to rename a package, all
that's needed is a CVS Request. I'd like that to be reintroduced. I don't
think dropping that rule was ever really discussed, it just vanished some
day. It doesn't make sense to require a rereview just for a name change
when any other updates (including things like adding subpackages and
Obsoletes - and no, I'm not suggesting to force rereviews for all that
stuff, it wouldn't scale!) are allowed. IMHO even a quick review on the ML
is too much overhead for something as trivial as a name change.

        Kevin Kofler