GNOME menu ugliness - Name/GenericName

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 10:47:53 UTC 2008

What is the "correct usage" of Name/GenericName in Fedora Land?

[...]

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

| Installed .desktop files MUST follow the desktop-entry-spec , paying
| particular attention to validating correct usage of Name, GenericName,
| [...] entries.

Raises the question: What is "correct usage" of those entries?

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html

| Name	: Specific name of the application,
| for example "Mozilla". (REQUIRED)

| GenericName	: Generic name of the application,
| for example "Web Browser". (OPTIONAL)

Raises the questions: Why don't packages adhere to this standard?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=GenericName&go=Go

Tells me that this has been discussed several times in early 2007.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue90#What_Should_X-Chat_Be_Called_In_The_Menu.3F
(May 2007)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg02153.html

| Kevin also wondered why GNOME didn't support GenericNames in .desktop
| yet, which Matthias answered by saying no one had got around to it yet.

Is this still the case? - Seems so. GNOME here only shows the Name= entries.
How does KDE handle this?

Why do we have a policy on "correct usage" of Name/GenericName that would
make the menus look ugly. It's not just the mix of Name/GenericName in there,
it confuses users, who are not familiar with application names. I would
like to violate the guidelines and put GenericName as Name to escape from
this.

To repeat the question from the beginning:
What is the "correct usage" of Name/GenericName in Fedora Land?