Becoming a co-maintainer. How? (proftpd)

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Fri Dec 19 19:48:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 08:38:53PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:20:58AM -0800, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > This is specifically in regards to the 'proftpd' package maintained by
> > Matthias Saou.  Anyone know if he's around?
>
> I hope that he's still around... In any case he doesn't seems to be very
> active.
>
> >   - How can I see who currently are maintainers and comaintainers for a
> >     package?
>
> This one is easy, just go to
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/
> and search for proftpd. Or directly use the package url explained
> on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/UsingPackagedb#What.27s_the_fastest_way_to_find_a_package.3F

>From https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/proftpd I only
see the Owner columns set to 'thias'.  Does this mean there are no
co-maintainers defined?

> >   - Is there a process to become a co-maintainer of a package when the
> >     primary maintainer is absent?
>
> If the primary maintainer is absent there is a policy:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy/NonResponsiveMaintainers

This would be a procedure to become the primary maintainer.  I am just
wanting to be added as a co-maintainer, not necessarily to supplant
Matthias... though I guess I will initiate this process nonetheless.

I guess I'm just wondering if someone out there could add me as a co
maintainer for the package -- thus saving some time over the non
responsive procedure and letting Matthias stay the owner if he returns.

> >   - As a 'provenpackager' would it be acceptable for me to push a new
> >     release of proftpd if I have commit access even though I'm not
> >     officially a maintainer?
>
> This is also covered by a policy:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages

Thanks!