Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 18:30:05 UTC 2008

Bastien Nocera wrote:

>> Also if this isn't the way to get this in fedora then what is? this
>> change will affect everyone and should not rely on one person but
>> should have a solid base behind it.
>
> Get the defaults changed upstream.
>
>> In this thread there are just a few -1 posts and the rest seems to be
>> +1 so the solid base is building up here.
>
> That's called a vocal minority, and is the reason why we don't have
> votes on mailing-lists for this sort of thing.
>
> And if you think it's a matter of patching the package, note that for
> any GNOME packages you'll find in Fedora for which there are patches,
> you'll find those same patches/functionality being upstreamed.

I think there is really a better approach to this, but it doesn't mesh
all that well with RPM capabilities.  That is, for every package or
package group where there is more than one commonly desired
configuration, there should be multiple configuration packages where the
last one installed wins, conceptually similar to the way the
caching-nameserver package is just a different configuration for bind.

Then you could have a gnome-cluttered package for people who like
leaving trails of open windows splattered all over the screen and
gnome-clean for people who don't.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com