Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 21:19:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark wrote:

>> think i am indeed getting done a part of what i hoped and that's
>> raising awareness that this option in nautilus should be changed and
>> that the majority of any linux related community is in favor of it. I
>> don't have hard numbers to back that up but there are no hard numbers
>> on community users so don't ask the impossible of me
>>

> You are being self contradictory. If you don't have any hard numbers, you
> cannot actually claim a majority at all and yes, finding hard numbers is
> difficult if not impossible and doesn't really translate into usability
> anyway. I wouldn't blame you for this.  The real problem is that we haven't
> yet figured out a good community centric approach to usability though many
> different people are trying. Even in cases, where there some acclaimed
> usability tests behind a particular change, many Linux users still felt the
> changes were all wrong. One example is the Slab menu or the new KDE 4
> default menu. In the end, all that you have accomplished is to note again,
> that the Linux community has strong and sometimes deeply conflicting view
> points and aren't afraid to express them but I think,  most of us are
> already aware of that.
>
> Rahul

To be completely off topic -- the discussion about browser mode seems
over anyway -- the kde 4 menu does suck. besides that it's buggy it's
not intuitive although it might be better if the existing bugs are
fixed. The only thing it is is looking better then what was the
classic menu.

I will see if the bug (talking about the spatial vs browser mode now)
that is targeted for gnome 2.24 is really gonna get in thus meaning
that browser mode is enabled by default again. The link is in one of
my previous posts.