Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sat Dec 20 23:36:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 02:40 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> You are being self contradictory. If you don't have any hard numbers,
> you cannot actually claim a majority at all and yes, finding hard
> numbers is difficult if not impossible and doesn't really translate
> into usability anyway. I wouldn't blame you for this.

But this is exactly what drives people up the wall:
  - Please change X
  - Why would we, how can we know if other like it like that?
  - Look, there's plenty of indication on the web that that's the case
  - Pfff, even 95% numbers are not good, we want HARD numbers!
  - ... but ... that's nearly impossible to get :(
  - Sure, we know it's impossible, that's why we asked for them. Duh!

No matter on each side of the debate you are, you must admit this is
insanely frustrating! This is not constructive in any way. Why don't
you have the guts to come out and say:
  "Fsck off, this is the way we like it. End of discussion."

Why mimic this lame community involvement?!? Don't you realize people
know when they are taken for fools?

And you know what? We *have* hard numbers! We know quite well the
percentage of people using Windows and MacOSX. It is close to 95%. Every
time I pointed that out it was completely ignored.

I have presented a fairly tight argument why the default was not chosen
wisely. Did I receive *one* decent counter argument? Stuff along the
lines of "Come back with several solid usability studies" is just
ludicrous.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.