Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 07:28:50 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#All_patches_should_have_an_upstream_bug_link_or_comment
>>

> That's only relevant if the configuration change is actually a patch against
> an upstream package. The KDE settings are in a kde-settings package for
> which we are upstream ( https://fedorahosted.org/kde-settings/ ). :-) A
You are merely consolidating all your changes into a separate package
(what has its advantages) but it is still deviations from upstream. The
spirit of the guidelines is to avoid such changes or atleast document
them and that is the case for kde-settings as well. I was around in
FUDCon Boston when Aaron Seigo suggested that changed btw and even then
talked to Rex Dieter that we should make a good faith effort to atleast
notify upstream of the changes we are making. If a number of downstreams
are making a change, they might be convinced to change the defaults.
Sometimes, upstream projects have noted important side effects of such
changes, which package maintainers were not aware of that  (that opens a
security risk, that particular option is unstable and hard to reproduce
etc).
> lso
> note that it's only a SHOULD, not a MUST, and that "# change braindead
> upstream default" is a perfectly valid comment under that guideline.

See above.

Rahul