Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sun Dec 21 17:04:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 12:50 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > But this is exactly what drives people up the wall:
> >   - Please change X
> >   - Why would we, how can we know if other like it like that?
> >   - Look, there's plenty of indication on the web that that's the case
> >   - Pfff, even 95% numbers are not good, we want HARD numbers!
> >   - ... but ... that's nearly impossible to get :(
> >   - Sure, we know it's impossible, that's why we asked for them. Duh
> >

> 95% is just made up statistics as usual.

No, it's not. You are just dismissing it off hand as usual.
I have stated that 95% of computer users on Planet Earth are
used to browser mode. That's an easy number to get to,
see for example:
http://gizmodo.com/340117/mac-os-x-market-share-at-731-and-rising

In fact, judging by the above it may be more like 99.5%,
but does it matter?!? The point still stands, but it was
repeatedly dismissed out of hand because it's a heck of a
lot more fun to argue about 93.5% vs. 95%.

> I merely said that claiming a majority is impossible too. I also
> noted that even things changed with many usability studies behind them
> have lots of people hating that particular change.  So there isn't one
> particular default that satisfies everybody's tastes and that's ok since
> changing it is pretty easy in this case and the non default cases are
> being improved all the time as well.

Just saying "it's easy to change" is just a lame cop-out. Most people
don't bother changing from the defaults, they either like or dislike the
system.

The old "mechanism without defaults" has been proven time and again
to be a total failure when it comes to "normal" users.

We are here to build a desktop OS that's suitable for everybody do
use. Defaults matter a great deal.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.