Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Dec 21 20:21:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:23:00PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:

> You seem to be trying to build a complete Fedora-alike infrastructure before
> you do anything. That to me seems crazy. What do you actually need - a corner
> on your own box to build rpms. A guest environment to test them and some disk
> space on an ftp site.
>
> Yes you'll need to grow that - if you get lots of users/contributors, but you
> don't need to start that way. As it is so well put "Rome was not built in a day"

Of course that can be done like that. But what was appealing in
the use of fedora infrastructure after end of life was that it could
be possible to avoid most costs associated with setting up an
infrastructure of any size. The setup could have been done
using already accumulated work (including community building) at
litte additional cost.

It may be done otherwise, sure, it is free software, but I still
think that it would be much less cost-effective.

Now FESCo/board can still veto that, the fact that it is cost-effective
doesn't make it free. But saying that FESCo has no responsibility in
this is wrong.

--
Pat