Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Dec 21 21:03:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 03:33:12PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:

> But cost and risk dumped on the community not the people proposing the idea.

There was no risk, since it was explitcitly unofficial.
Regarding the cost, the idea was that they could be
assessed and the project reevaluated after the proposal
was tested (I did paste the paragraph in a previous mail).

An underlying idea of mine was that it could help re-attract
users and contributors or avoid that they leave, given that
the balance in Fedora was much more on the innovative side.
So, in my opinion there was some value for the Fedora project.

But this is certainly the weak part of such proposals, since
instead many of the people leading fedora explicitely want
such a project not to happen (irrespective of the costs)
and the others are not in favor of it. And it is the real
reason why the proposal was rejected, that's why I don't
want to let think that there was a specific reason like
cost or bug handling or size of the contributor base or
whatever.

That being said I agree that the cost is still there and
it is a valid reason.

> > It may be done otherwise, sure, it is free software, but I still
> > think that it would be much less cost-effective.
>
> Perhaps.. but the sooner you go do it the sooner it happens.

If the cost is higher, it may never happen.

--
Pat