Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 22 18:21:00 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I think the correct approach is to replace such things
>>> with a rebuilt RHEL version where the fix will actually have some QA
>>> before dropping into users' laps, but...
>>
>> Fedora is most cases, is way ahead in versions and that strategy won't
>> work much. You could borrow a few fixes like Fedora Legacy used to but
>> that is a small number.
>
> It would only work in the versions where the code cycle continued into
> RHEL and would take some coordination even there, with the tradeoff that
> no duplicate work would ever need to be done on the development side and
> there would be no incompatible version jumps to cause trouble on the
> user side.

RHEL mostly freezes on everything and backports fixes selectively with
few version bumps in between. Fedora stays more close to upstream and
rarely backports fixes. If a security issue affects the recent version
of any component in Fedora, you just cannot borrow a fix from RHEL in
most cases as a result.

> But, how many things have big security risks anyway?  In most cases the
> ones to worry about are just the kernel, network daemons, and suid
> programs - mostly things with standardized interfaces so backing up a
> version or two shouldn't break anything.

You aren't considering things like Firefox which often requires security
updates. You cannot just go back a few revisions and just hope to not
break anything.  Doesn't work that way. You don't even have to be a
developer to be aware of that. Any sys admin would be aware of how
brittle things can be.

Rahul

Rahul