Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Dec 22 18:42:44 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 14:28 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> > * Ralf Corsepius [22/12/2008 13:51] :
> > >
> > > Right, implementing a fork is the last resort, when an opensource
> > > project's leadership doesn't want listen.
> >
> > That's not true.
> >
> > We've discussed this idea several times and, when people are told that
> > they need to show there's a group of contributors to this project before
> > infrastructure is dedicated to it, they don't fork the updates, they
> > start whining and making up a whole bunch of excuses to justify not
> > doing the work.
>
> We are turning in circles - It's a hen and egg problem.

No...

> FESCo brushes off volunteers,

Haven't seen such.

>                               the @RHs (here A.C) gun-down any
> volunteers,

What I just saw was an _encouragement_ to go and just do it. That is not
"gun down".

>             ... what do you expect prospective volunteers to think?

That whining gets you nowhere fast. If you want to change something, ask.
If the answers you get don't convince you, find like-minded people and go
ahead and try it out. It doesn't need to be a full-fledged <whatever> at
first, just a prototype. If it (even modestly) succeeds, you have /very/
strong arguments for the next round of discussions. If they still don't
want to listen, you can go ahead and fork (that's the beauty of really open
source!). By then you will have the momentum and experience to do so behind
you.

> Patrice already turned away from Fedora, I for one have significantly
> cut down my involvement into Fedora and am considering to further cut it
> down.

Sorry to hear that.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513