Futuer of grub/grub2 to F11

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Dec 27 07:25:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 15:39 -0500, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> /boot is a 100-200 MB partition on many machines. Unless Grub can
> safely handled an encrypted partition on top of a Logical Volume
> running on an encrypted Volume Group running on an encrypted Physical
> Volume on an encrypted hard drive, with levels of Software RAID in
> between each step, there's just no sense supporting /boot on anything
> other than a 100-200 MB ext2 or ext3 volume.

Why do we even waste 128mb on an ext3 journal for /boot? It changes
rarely and such a small filesystem with only a handful of files takes 0
time to fsck. On all my machines /boot is a 256mb (plenty of room for
the upcoming rescue image in /boot...) ext2 partition set to fsck on
every boot. Every time I upgrade, anaconda nags me to "upgrade" /boot to
ext3...