Futuer of grub/grub2 to F11

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Dec 28 00:10:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 12:00 -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On a 256mb filesystem the journal will only be 32mb by default.  Still a
> chunk of the fs, but not half! :)

Hmmm, I think this has changed over the years, but it seems the recent
code looks like this:

int ext2fs_default_journal_size(__u64 blocks)
{
   if (blocks < 2048)
      return -1;
   if (blocks < 32768)
      return (1024);
   if (blocks < 256*1024)
      return (4096);
   if (blocks < 512*1024)
      return (8192);
   if (blocks < 1024*1024)
      return (16384);
   return 32768;
}

It's based on block size. So on a 256mb filesystem, the block size
defaults to 1k, and you get an 8mb journal.

Given /boot mostly stores a handful of kernels, a 4k block size works
just fine and gains a bit of space due to less metadata. (Helpful when
you're trying to maximize space on older systems with smaller drives...)
You then end up with a 16mb journal.

Not as wasteful as I thought, but still, really the journal isn't doing
anything but take up space.

I've been setting up /boot with options something like this on my
machines:

mke2fs -b 4096 -N 128 /dev/sda1

Ah, exercises in obsessive optimization...