Futuer of grub/grub2 to F11

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Dec 30 08:52:17 UTC 2008

Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com> writes:

> On an unrelated note I don't see as much value in having a rescue
> image on the drive. If my system can't rescue itself, 9 times out of
> 10 the boot loader is what went, and then how do I start my rescue
> image?

If it's just the boot loader, fixing it is easy and takes just one
reboot. If, on the other hand, the initrd is messed up, fixing it can
take a lot of reboots with various attempts. Today, each of those
involves a PXE boot followed by fetching the stage 2 image over the
LAN. It would be a lot quicker to boot directly into a rescue image.

I am considering following Lyos Gemini Norezel's example. It would be
even nicer if the initrd had rudimentary recovery tools though. A
busybox with cat would have helped me out a lot on at least three
occassions, where I ended up repeatedly booting from rescue, unpacking
the initrd, and trying to figure out what was wrong inside it.

/Benny