Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Dec 30 10:03:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 12:53 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > 1) I used Macs before I ever used Linux. The System 7 era, in
> > particular. My high school was entirely Mac based. What is foreign to
> > you is quite familiar to me.
>
> Yet Apple abandoned spatial in favor of column navigation (i.e. what you get
> if you fire up Dolphin and select "Columns" in the toolbar).

... Yeah, because Steve Jobs is so well known for his detailed and
reasoned usability studies. Apple didn't abandon spatial, they abandoned
an entire operating system. Are you so sure it has nothing to do with
NIH syndrome after Steve Jobs was brought back to Apple? Are you so sure
that NeXT differed from Apple because of some kind of scientific
usability study, rather than an effort to differentiate NeXT from Apple?

Not sure what you're even trying to argue. The fact remains, classic Mac
OS was the second GUI I ever used for an extended time, before I ever
used Windows or Linux, and before OS X ever existed. Not everyone grew
up on Windows 98/XP/OSX/whatever.

(The first was the Atari ST, but I'd hardly use GEM as a good example of
user interface design... Hardwired four window limit, bleh...)

The main argument here seems to be that "browser" mode is what people
are used to. That does not mean it is the best. That just means it's
what people happened to learn first.