Firefox and Epiphany crash after today's updates

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 22:05:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 14:14 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> You can have FF use 11pt by calculating the number of px that 11pt converts
> to at your DPI, and then set FF to use that px size. If your DPI is less than
> 96, then you may need to change the pref 'layout.css.dpi' from -1 to 0 to get
> around its default 96 DPI floor.
>
> FF uses px for pref sizes at least in part because at higher than 96 DPI
> screen resolutions px offer finer control of the preferred size than pt, 25%
> at 120 DPI, 50% at 144 DPI. Since resolutions have been increasing and will
> continue to increase, px was and will continue to be a good choice for
> maximizing this user control.
While good for maximising user control, it is broken behaviour from my
POV. I want either small/medium/big text (while any difference in size
smaller than cca 0.1 mm is totally insignificant for me and for bigger
sizes this threshold even increases) regardless the monitor DPI.

When I say to GNOME that I want to see 9 pt big fonts everywhere I want
to see them everywhere to be as big as I set them to be - i.e. if I
chose whatever LCD and whatever screen resolution combination, I want it
to have same absolute size (in my case 9 pt). And that behaviour I
expect from web browser as well and I really hate that I need to set
it's settings separately and in pixel-relative size (not to mention the
default settings are way too big for usual DPI). There should at least
be an option (set by default to ON) to use system settings for font.

> --
> "For God so loved the world that he gave his one
> and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall
> not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 NIV
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Martin