yum and yum-updatesd in Rawhide

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:38:25 UTC 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 7:19 AM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> File it against comps, if you want, I'm not sure what resolution there
> can  be, though.

The underlying problem here is that we used the simplest approach to
uninstalling that doesn't take into account whether a package is part
of another 'installed' group (whatever that means). Since we don't
keep track of the context of the install operation...was it installed
as part of a group install operation, explicitly requested by a user
for install, or dragged in to fill a dep, other crap like that...
we've no way to account for that context in the remove operation.  So
all removes are equal.

I think group definitions overlap is unavoidable...its too big of a
space.  If we continue to require that groups don't overlap like this,
we really limit how Spins/SIGs can leverage group definitions to
organize their space.  But for a groupremove command to work,
rationally, there has to be some extra information tracked about why a
package was installed, so when its uninstalled as part of a
groupremove, its not uninstalled if it belongs to another installed
group.  We just don't have the information...yet.

I know tracking this sort of install context has been brought up
before (by me even!). Seth do you know anyone who is experimenting
with this sort of thing? Tracking the context of a package install in
terms of explicit request, dep resolution, or group member?

-jef