feature process should require release notes/docs

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:33:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:47:47 -0500
Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:07:35 -0800
> "Karsten 'quaid' Wade" <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > In preparation to asking FESCo to amend the feature process, I'd like
> > to find out if there is going to be an uprising from y'all against the
> > idea.
>

> Well, I'm afraid of requiring more out of the feature proposers, and
> thus making it more likely that they'll just quietly do the work
> anyway, not make it a proposed feature, and just move on to the next
> task.

I don't see a problem with that at all.  If they don't care enough to
shout about the feature they're working on, it's not important enough
for it to be a feature.

Conversely, if someone other than the developer wants to shout about it
as a feature, then they can write the documentation.

IMHO, we have entirely too many things that are _barely_ features or
are quite nebulous.  I fear we play a bit too much "keeping up with the
Ubuntus".  If we want to tout something as a feature, we should be
willing to write up why.

josh