feature process should require release notes/docs

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 22:29:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:07:35PM -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> In preparation to asking FESCo to amend the feature process, I'd like to
> find out if there is going to be an uprising from y'all against the
> idea.
>
> Currently, the feature process does not specifically require release
> notes or documentation, nor provide for FESCo to block a feature because
> of missing or poor feature documentation.  We think the feature
> policy[1] should be amended[2] to require this.

I don't like this idea.  While I'm perfectly happy to write release notes
and/or short docs for my features in Fedora 9, the nature of some of the
work I'm doing means that it is hard/impossible to write any meaningful
docs until shortly before release. To have the feature lingering unapproved
in limbo until the docs are written is not helpful.

By all means revoke features which don't have docs written at time of
release, but making it a requirement for initial approval is going to
discourage submission of features., Or it'll force me to just make up
some random garbage for docs to get past the approval process, and then
re-write them again once the work is actually done.

Dan.