baracuda/vnc in f9?

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 17:35:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:22:47AM +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Please can someone update me on the current status of vnc, or its replacement,
> called baracuda, in f9.  I did not see it in the feature list for f9.

It's not planned. This change is forced by 1.5 X codebase

> I wondered if this was simply a new package that would entirely replace the
> existing functionality that is provided by the current vnc?
>
> Since I use vnc currently in F7/F8 a lot, I would like to know if it will still
> be possible to load a vnc module in xorg.conf so that the desktop is visible
> prior to login to gnome or kde in f9 and beyond?

I'm working on it/

> Is there a any url with the current status, apart from the TRAC page for
> baracuda?
>
> Thanks

Let me try explain situation around vnc. I'm vnc maintainer and our
current Xvnc has HUGE patches. It is absolutely unmaintained by
upstream so I think it's better fork it because we need vnc server
based on X 1.5, this is first requirement to have working
libvnc.so module. I discussed that problem with TightVNC but they
didn't want rebase their server to modular X before they saw baracuda
fork. Now they offer me that I will become member of TightVNC project
and they are going to use baracuda server so sources will be merged
together. So in the end it looks that I will stop baracuda project,
use patches from it to current vnc and join to TightVNC project. When
TightVNC will be usable we will use it as our default vnc. Btw if you
run diff on our current rawhide and baracuda sources and compare it to
diff between original RealVNC and rawhide sources you will see that We
already have baracuda in rawhide :)

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.