request: can somebody please port googleearth-package to fedora?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 02:43:07 UTC 2008

Christopher Brown wrote:
> On 07/02/2008, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Christopher Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, I got the inference. qv. the script that downloads restricted
>>> content on the Fedora Games DVD. So why don't we package a script that
>>> configures the nvidia binary driver?
>> Well I don't know why you couldn't, but I think what livna is doing in this area
>> is a superior solution anyway.
>
> Yes, sorry, question was rhetorical and I should've indicated this. Or
> at the very least opening the idea to further debate.

Well my comment wasn't clear either.  I wouldn't want what Douglas is asking for
help on, but I'd like a nicely packaged google-earth available (somewhere in the
ether).

> The googleearth-package Douglas referred to appears to do little more
> than grab the binary, extract into a chroot and build a debian-happy
> .deb from that. Other than modifying to the binary to suit, it would
> just be a method of circumventing the "No closed source software"
> policy of Fedora. If we are to okay this, why hasn't this been done
> for other popular closed source linux apps/drivers such as the nvidia
> driver?

Unless I'm mistaken its a very different situation to the game data packages
anyway since what is obtained is not just data but compiled code, where the game
packages have open source code and closed binary data (afaik).  Google earth has
neither open.

> Please note I am definitely *not* advocating it should be.

Neither am I.

Not 'in Fedora' anyway, but I agree with what I think Douglas is after... it
would be great if it was available to Fedora users somehow, and easily
installable in a clean way (i.e. a personal repo or perhaps in Livna).