F9A Install: No Volume Groups Found

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Fri Feb 8 13:56:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 14:11 -0500, Chris Snook wrote:
> Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> > I just installed Fedora 9 alpha on an x86_64 server (several times
> > actually) and after a seemingly uneventful install, it won't boot saying
> > it can't find any volume groups. There is nothing unusual about the
> > server. In fact, I installed Fedora 8 by mistake (too many net install
> > choices) in the last couple of days and it worked fine . I am using an
> > LVM structure made by Fedora 8 a few months ago but I'm reformatting all
> > LVs in it. I initially thought it was related to trying to test ext4 but
> > I just did a very plain install without ext4 and that also failed. The
> > console doesn't show any notable error related to the SCSI disks but
> > fails when it can't find any logical volumes.
> >
> > I've tried installing from F9A and from current Rawhide but keep getting
> > this same error. I've also disabled selinux by adding selinux=0 to the
> > kernel command line but that didn't help.
> >
> > Any ideas? Kernel bug? LVM bug? Initrd bug?
>
> Dunno, but I had this problem using an upstream 2.6.24 kernel built with the
> 2.6.24-9 rawhide kernel .config, using rawhide initscripts, nash, and
> kernel-utils.  It worked fine with the F8 kernel .config and the rawhide
> userspace packages.  The rawhide kernel itself boots though.  I haven't had time
> to track it down.
>
> 	-- Chris

It's almost like it's starting the lvscan before the scsi scan is done.
I get messages about finding the physical disks before the lvscan but
don't get the messages about setting up sda and sdb until after the
lvscan fails. Could be just a console buffering problem though.

Or x86_64 since the last message is something along the lines of

scsi_scan_0 used greatest stack depth: 4904 bytes left.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |