call for brave ext4 testers in F9, with caveats

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Feb 8 17:14:46 UTC 2008

On 2/4/08, Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:

> 3) misc stuff - I've not yet tested ext4 over an encrypted block device,
> or even over an lvm volume.  There may be some stack issues on x86 boxes
> still, I'm working on slimming that down.  I hope that more real-world
> use will shake out any remaining problems.

I temporarily lost my sanity and tried installing ex4 over an
encrypted lvm volume.  Of course, it didn't work, I get the following
message when it tried to mount the root partition:

EXT4-fs: dm-1: not marked OK to use with test code

I have a pictures of the last couple screens of boot messages (taken
with my cell phone but readable) - are there any other post-mortem
operations I should do before reformatting and trying something more
sane?  BTW, this is with kernel 2.6.24-23.fc9 (I added a rawhide http
repo during the install to get the latest updates - I told you I
wasn't thinking straight when I started this experiment...)

Jeff