Is anyone packaging sage?

C.M. Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Fri Feb 8 19:33:23 UTC 2008

"D'R" == Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com>

    D'R> For what it is worth, Debian calls it libsage:
    D'R> http://packages.debian.org/stable/libdevel/libsage-dev

That's actually a completely unrelated package -- libsage is some
sort of OpenGL library.

I'm not sure there is a name yet -- the project doesn't seem to be
at the point where they're ready to upload packages to Debian
proper; they're still working out which bits they can pull from
Debian and which bits need to be packaged.

Details on the Debian packaging front are in a wiki [0]; there's
also a mailing list [1]. It might be nice to see if there could be
a more generalized push for distributions one level above, as much
of the work that isn't specifically related to packaging is going
to be identical.  (Identifying components to package, followed by
figuring out which pieces are already available in a distribution
and which aren't but need to be, followed by figuring out how to
package the sage-specific glue that makes all the pieces work
together.)  There's actually a discussion about that very thing on
the list. [2]

It seems like there are multiple licensing issues, which isn't a
big shock from my experience packaging mathematical software.

My users are very interested in having access to SAGE (we're
running CentOS 3, with a move to CentOS 5 in the near future), so
I would be very interested in seeing SAGE packaged for Fedora,
EPEL, or one of the other repos.

   Claire

[0] <http://wiki.sagemath.org/DebianSAGE>
[1] <http://groups.google.com/group/debian-sage>
[2] <http://groups.google.com/group/debian-sage/browse_thread/thread/4f95d626fd14a045#020ff1482400fefe>

  Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
  Systems Administrator                          (909) 621-8754
  Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College