to autodownload or not to autodownload

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 9 20:13:11 UTC 2008

Chris Adams wrote:

> That was a rhetorical question.  Fedora has codecbuddy that points to a
> proprietary MP3 plugin.  Picking on Flash (where a company is providing
> a Fedora-compatible repo for their software) seems wrong when Fedora
> includes software that points at other proprietary software.  Fedora
> can't provide fully-functional Flash, so why can Flash not be like MP3
> and have Fedora point at the Adobe repo?

There is a open source version of Flash that we can legally include
(atleast partially) in Fedora and would like to support. That isn't the
case for MP3. This is why codeina has a large introductory message
educating end users. Refer

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/Codeina
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy

Rahul