to autodownload or not to autodownload

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Feb 10 10:09:21 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 10 février 2008 à 09:40 +0100, Hans de Goede a écrit :

> In general the problem is that content creators (artists) are not as much into
> freedom thinking (yet?) as the freesoftware movement is, esp they think that no
> one should be allowed to make any money of their work in any way. On top of
> that they also often think that their creation is perfect as is, and don't want
> others to harm their work by modifying it.

As I wrote several times already others groups like the Fonts SIG or
Java packagers chose to do it the right hard way by themselves, and to
my knowledge you're mistaken when you state there are numerous
precedents justifying the games SIG expediency first policy (for the
record I don't consider fonts content but others disagree). There are
numerous precedents the other way should you chose to consider them.

This is not to say the situation is perfect in Fedora, but it's nowhere
are bad as you paint it, and games are the only coherent group of
borderline packages I know of.

--
Nicolas Mailhot