Massrebuilds for GCC 4.3 coming soon to a buildsystem near you!

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 06:50:17 UTC 2008

2008/2/11, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 20:42 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> > 2008/2/10, Dan Horák <dan at danny.cz>:
> >         The script included also some applications written in C# and
> >         build with
> >         Mono, are they really required to be rebuild?
> >
> > Pure managed code such as ndesk-dbus should not need a rebuild, thus I
> > was also surprised to find them on the list.
>
> If it's pure managed code then why is it in an arch-specific package?

Because the guidelines for packaging Mono are IMHO broken, we do this to
enable AOT after the fact, I have at least one upstream complaining loudly
over this and personally I'm rather tired of patching the libdir stuff by
hand.
Would anyone oppose making that demand optional? As more and more code is
becoming pure managed it would greatly reduce the work required to maintain
these packages if we could be allowed to package them as noarch. Less
patching, closer to upstream.. all that good stuff and I wouldn't be pulling
out my hair everytime I feel like I'm writing yet another mindless patch
that will never go upstream.

- David