Any possibility of getting this software installer coded and in fedora (9 or 10)?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:30:10 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 9:46 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/2/10, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Did you explain why you need a java api?  Did i miss that?
>
> I thought i told that in my first post but apparently i didn't.
> I need java because it's the only decent programming language that i
> can do at the moment. I can do php but that isn't good for
> applications. Also i could learn Python but i rather skip it all
> together and get strait to c and c++ but that won't happen anytime
> soon.

Here's the thing... as a project we've got a significant amount of
code and momentum invested in python.  If you want to work on this in
java only because you know java best, I am going to strongly suggest
you reconsider this.  If you need to use java because you have some
local technical need for a java class to interface with existing java
code that you have, that would be an entirely different thing.  But if
the main goal here is to give back your work to this project and have
an impact, its not necessarily the best use of your time to code a
java frontend to packgekit. Yes it can be done, but it might not be
the best thing to do to meet your primary goal.

If your goal is to make a long term impact on what Fedora is actually
doing, you'll have a much easier time of it if you bite the bullet and
start learning some python now.  It's extremely unlikely that we'll be
moving our toolbase to java or including a java frontend in our
default release offerings. if anything, if you create something clever
and compelling in java, someone else will redo it in python so that
its more easily consumable and reusable by the project directly.

-jef