Any possibility of getting this software installer coded and in fedora (9 or 10)?

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Mon Feb 11 20:48:48 UTC 2008

Mark wrote:
> 2008/2/11, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Feb 11, 2008 11:20 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Oke that makes sense. and what about a c/c++ frontend? that's what i
>>> actually want to do with java just as a step between it. Just asking
>>> and seeing if that might be a good possibility. I won't make that
>>> anytime soon because i have no c/c++ knowledge at the moment or
>>> anytime soon (as in 1+ years or so).
>>>
>> Again.. is there a reason you can't work directly with the existing
>> packagekit developers?  Having 15 thousand different frontends sure
>> sounds like a bad idea.  Packagekit development has momentum, its
>> going places, they have multiple frontends for situations that make
>> sense.
>>
>> If you want to make best impact, you'll find a way to work with them
>> to improve the frontends they are already working on.
>>
>> Unless your ideas for what your application is actually going to do
>> for users is inconsistent with what packagekit developers are already
>> trying to achieve... there is little utility in striking on on your
>> own.  If your primary goal is to impact the experience for users
>> generally, you'll get their faster by enhancing what is already being
>> worked on.
>>
>> If you just want to do this for self-education or personal usage, then
>> do whatever you want, you'll succeed at the goal regardless of how you
>> actually implement your code.
>>
>> -jef
>>

> Well.. i personally think that programs that need to be fast (package
> management needs that in my opinion) can't be written in python simply
> because it's not the fastest language if you go for performance. but i
> understand why people use it and am thinking of learning it and that's
> mainly because python is relatively easy to learn and very powerful.

He calleth down the thunder :)

Python's particular performance characteristics aside, package
management front ends are going to be mostly disk operations (not very
language dependent even in the worst of cases) and yum operations
(handled in a library, so really not your code anyway) so this argument
is a bad one.

I do think there are some particular issues with python that have hurt
pirut/pup (poor concurrency support leading to weird drawing issues when
yum is crunching things) but there's no reason that can't be coded around.

--CJD