a plan for updates after end of life

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Feb 12 00:20:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:29:37PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:12:34AM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > One cannot reasonably trust a volunteer based project. I am just writing
> > down that plain fact.
>
> Curiously intuition and reality may differ here. If you have a small number
> of volunteers communicating well with each other and co-ordinating other
> folk then the maths says your volunteer based project will be suprisingly
> robust.. but you need those key people to hold it together to make it work
> at all.

In packaging there are less synergies. But I agree that a small set of
contributors can do a great work. I personnally wanted that volunteered
based project to exist, but it doesn't change the fact that there is
no trust, in that there is nothing to force volunteers to do their work.
I think that, even without obligation there is room for such project
that's why I proposed it, but it  can only be judged and trusted after
the fact, not before.

--
Pat